Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The first of many

Let me start this blog with a disclaimer:  I am not a writer.  I am a photographer.  I enjoy writing and getting thoughts out of my brain and onto paper, but make no mistake, writing is not what I do best.  That being said, to make it in this century you have to blog, so that's what I'm going to do.  I don't usually shy away from a good challenge, so here goes.

I decided to start this blog because I think there's a need for it.  I've looked at hundreds of blogs and websites belonging to photographers across the world and there's lots of advice out there.  Good advice.  Advice about lighting techniques, composition and editing, marketing and promotion.  Advice about actions and presets, and tips for finding the perfect prop or posing the perfect family.  I've learned a TON from some amazing professionals and I can not thank them enough.

In my quest for knowledge, however, I realized that something was missing (or at least I couldn't find it in the blogosphere!).  I searched for a blog that focused on what these professionals were FEELING as they build and sustain their businesses.  I'm a woman so, of course, I can't ignore the feelings that surface each day as I follow my heart and continue my journey.  I wanted to know that there are other women out there doing what I'm doing and feeling what I'm feeling.

Photography is my passion, my heart.  I know it's what God wants me to do.  But there are days when I struggle with emotions or creativity or confidence or...the list goes on and on.  And some days are glorious highs that leave me feeling certain that I'm on the right path.  I am building this blog so we can share these highs and lows together and enjoy the roller coaster ride that never ends.  And really, I don't want it to end.  I'm just getting started.

So, I'm going to put down the camera for a little while each week to focus on the feelings I have during this rewarding, yet stressful, time in my life.  I hope that by sharing my stories and emotions, you'll feel compelled to do the same.  And along the way, maybe we'll learn a little bit more about who we are and who we're going to be.

And there will be pictures (duh).  Some will help illustrate the "Feeling of the Week" and others will just be there because, well, I like them.  I hope you will too.  This week's photo features my daughter, Holly. It's just a shot that makes me smile every time I see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment